Data Scientist II
WE OFFERThe Actuarial Services Department’s purpose is to drive the organization to pricing and operational excellence by providing actionable insights from data analytics, enabling the company to achieve its financial goals. Our department vision is for all AMIG departments to seek our guidance in making strategic decisions due to our market leading analytical techniques! The Predictive Modeling team provides services to all business units to help drive data/information based decision making and provide valuable actionable insights based on objective criteria.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Prepare and complete predictive analytics analysis and modeling with general guidance on very complex projects
- Participate in the development of predictive analytics and modeling presentations and present results/topics to customers (internal & external) and management as requested
- Concentrate on loosely defined problems which require application of creative approaches. Contribute to projects that yield actionable insights the business can use to increase customer satisfaction, policy growth, retention, and profitability
- Complete required data preparation, including data input with guidance. Identify data anomalies and seek guidance on necessary adjustments
- Identify data & operational issues requiring specialized analytics attention, data scrubbing and modeling techniques
- Document and communicate assumptions, results and alternatives to team members and internal customers with guidance. Communicate with regulators when called upon to support rate filings or modeling practices in general
- Create and maintain modeling best practices and new techniques in coordination with internal and external business partners
- Explain advanced analytic and modeling procedures in the language that audiences with no predictive analytics training can easily find connections to. Understand customers' requests and hidden issues and explain possible solutions in their language
- Schedule and prioritize workload demands. Maintain very good organization skills. Complete technical peer reviews as needed
- Maintain strong interpersonal skills - listen deeply, ask correct questions, take notes, complete professional oral and written business communications (including email communications), presentations and build business relationships in order to better understand insurance company processes and functions. Established relationships with multiple areas of interaction
WE EXPECTRequired Technical Skills:
- Strong background in Statistical programming in R, Python, SAS, or related software. General programing and data knowledge including SQL
- Familiarity with common statistical and machine learning techniques such as linear and logistic regression, GLMs, CART, Random Forests, GBMs, Principal Component Analysis, Clustering techniques, and shrinkage techniques (including lasso regression)
- Experience with data wrangling, evaluating data quality, transforming and cleaning data as appropriate for analysis
At American Modern, a subsidiary of Munich Re, we see Diversity and Inclusion as a solution to the challenges and opportunities all around us. Our goal is to foster an inclusive culture and build a workforce that reflects the customers we serve and the communities in which we live and work. We strive to provide a workplace where all of our colleagues feel respected, valued and empowered to achieve their very best every day. We recruit and develop talent with a focus on providing our customers the most innovative products and services.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.