Head of Automation & AI
WE OFFERAmerican Modern’s Operations Consulting Group (OCG) is a team of individuals from diverse backgrounds that share a passion for efficiency, effectiveness & pragmatic execution. We report to the Chief Operating Officer but work will all areas of the company and the greater Munich Re organization. While we report through American Modern Insurance Group, we function as a shared service to the greater Global Munich Re portfolio of companies and are considered Munich Re’s center of excellence for all three of our service offerings.
OCG is made up of three separate teams, each delivering a full set of services that work together closely to deliver a broad portfolio of operational excellence solutions:
- Consulting: Provides Lean Six Sigma based process improvement services
- Business Process Outsourcing: Uses third party staffing to execute standard work activities in low cost international locations
- Automation: Delivers robotic process automation (RPA via Blue Prism) and digital workflow solutions (Appian) and automated input management (OCR via Open Text and other solutions).
Roles & Responsibilities:Responsibilities include business process analysis and business metric performance monitoring related to automation technology utilization. Identifies opportunities to improve business results, decrease costs, increase available capacity, improve accuracy and timeliness, equips leadership to change behaviors, and improve operational controls.
- Liaise with internal business customers to understand business issues, develop & prioritize automation related solutions
- Challenge internal business customers on their existing processes to simplify the value stream and deliver faster value to our customers
- Educate internal customers on new automation technologies that may unlock new operating paradigms.
- Manage automation project portfolio including: Track and report on progress against tasks, activities, costs and benefits
- Provide functional and technical direction to automation team in order to develop simple solutions to complex business problems including guidance regarding architectural patterns, solution logic design including combining multiple technologies into a single seamless business solution
- Educate target audiences (local, regional & global) on automation methodology and processes related to Robotic Process Automation, Artificial Intelligence, Digital Workflows & Data/KPI Visualization
- Work with internal IT teams (local and global) to remove impediments to solution design and execution
- Address operational issues in a timely manner while keeping appropriate levels of leadership informed of the current situation and progress.
- Convey ideas orally and/or in writing with a clear, concise, organized and articulate style using a format that is appropriate for the target audience, i.e. peers, Business, Technology, Senior Leadership.
- Identify and proactively address staffing requirements in a multi-skill and virtual operation.
- Demonstrate a desire to work in a highly dynamic environment, requiring proficient organization and time management skills.
- Independent leader who can effectively navigate global organizations.
- Ensure all appropriate resources and documentation are available to support projects.
- Tool & implementation partner selection including RFI/RFP management
- Staffing and management of a blended team that includes American Modern personnel and third party technical resources on premise, near & off-shore
- Management of post-production Bot support activities currently outsourced to our technology partner firm
- Collaboration & relationship management with Munich Re’s Global IT pillars and sister entities for which we also provide automation support
- Communication with and influence of senior leadership (C-Level) on automation topics, project candidates and financial benefits related to the automation practice
WE EXPECTApplied experience in process improvement: Lean/Six Sigma Blackbelt desired but not necessary
In-depth understanding automation tool stacks including:
- Digital Workflows: Appian or similar (Service Now, Docusign, etc)
- Input Management: Open Text or similar (Adobe Experience Manager, etc
- Robotic Process Automation: Blue Prism or similar (Automation Anywhere, Pega, ect
- Business Process Management Notation: Adonis or similar (Signavio, Aris, etc.)
- Artificial Intelligence: Microsoft Azure LUIS, Logic & Function Apps, Python, etc.
- Prior experience managing distributed teams including onshore/off-shore, in-house/third party vendor combinations
- Expertise or demonstrated knowledge in digitizing back office processes (e.g. Finance, HR, Contact Centers, etc)
- Proven comfort and intellectual curiosity for working with digital design, prototyping and large cross-divisional transformations, pulling in relevant team members to address identified and something undiscovered client needs
- Strong communication skills, especially around breaking down complex processes into digestible and relevant points (business process management notation) for diverse set of clients and colleagues at all levels
- Track record of successful management of budgets greater than $5 million
- +7 years’ experience leading large automation teams
- +5 years’ experience in insurance or financial services
- +2 years consulting experience
American Modern is a widely recognized, national leader in the specialty insurance business. With close to 50 years of experience in the manufactured housing insurance sector, the company delivers specialized products and services for residential property and the recreational market. One of our newest lines is pet health insurance. The company is headquartered in suburban Cincinnati, Ohio.
American Modern is licensed in all 50 states and offers insurance products through a number of property and casualty companies which serve more than 1.7 million policyholders. As part of its parent company, American Modern’s companies are rated A+ (Superior) by the A.M. Best Company an independent analyst of the insurance industry, and is also a Ward’s 50® Top Performer another well-regarded industry standard of stability and excellence.
American Modern joined Munich Re as a key part of the world reinsurance leader’s North American insurance operations in April 2008. Munich Re has approximately 47,000 employees in over 50 locations throughout the world and operates in all lines of insurance. It is among the top 100 companies on the Forbes Global 500 list.