Senior State & Local Tax Accountant
WE OFFERHSB has a fantastic opportunity for a Senior State & Local Tax Accountant.
This is position you will prepare, review, approve, and pay state and local tax compliance for HSB Group and its U.S. affiliates in a timely manner. This includes but is not limited to sales and use, property, municipal, insurance premium, surcharge, guaranty fund, franchise, and state and local income taxes.
Manage and validate all exemption certificates received from customers nationwide and act as the direct point of contact for internal and external communication in a professional manner.
Perform general ledger account reconciliations in addition to preparing and submitting journal entries associated with state and local tax accruals, reserves, and true ups.
Investigate and respond to inquiries from tax authorities and assist with internal and external tax audits.
Independently perform ad hoc tax research and analysis to stay current on new and revised tax law as well as proactively recommend effective solutions.
Assist with and provide guidance on contract review, tax planning, and special projects that ensures jurisdictional compliance.
WE EXPECTEducation and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years’ experience of sales and use tax compliance required
- 3+ years experience of insurance premium tax preferred
- Experience with Vertex O Series, Tritech Premium Pro, and/or PeopleSoft ERPBasic knowledge of Thompson Reuters Checkpoint or other online tax research tool.
- Strong PC skills (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Ability to quickly adapt to accounting software and reporting tools
- Excellent communication and literacy skills
- Ability to work as a team player and independently under tight deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects, responsibilities, and prioritize workload
At The Hartford Steam Boiler, a subsidiary of Munich Re, we see Diversity and Inclusion as a solution to the challenges and opportunities all around us. Our goal is to foster an inclusive culture and build a workforce that reflects the customers we serve and the communities in which we live and work. We strive to provide a workplace where all of our colleagues feel respected, valued and empowered to achieve their very best every day. We recruit and develop talent with a focus on providing our customers the most innovative products and services.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.