Iron & Steel Principal Account Engineer - Remote
WE OFFERUse your iron & steel industry experience to become an integral member of HSB’s heavy industry engineering team … all while primarily working from home!
If you become a Principal Account Engineer with HSB, you will: Consult with HSB underwriters on machinery insurance coverage offerings to steel mills, aluminum smelters, forge shops, and related industries. Update guidelines, and teach internal engineering audiences about the process flow, machinery, and potential machinery failures in steel, aluminum, and similar industries. Visit manufacturing facilities, consult with site leadership, and analyze the facility’s equipment, maintenance, training, and contingency planning. Identify possible insurance claims, and work with customers to reduce their risk potential.
As you develop further in this role, you will evaluate businesses in other heavy industries, including power generation, mining, pulp & paper, sugar, manufacturing, and glass. Team members work cooperatively to support HSB’s heavy industry insurance program.
- Write evaluations of insured accounts and potential new customers for HSB or Munich Re underwriters, by evaluating available information on multiple sites which make up the account. Apply advanced technical knowledge of equipment design, condition, operations, maintenance, and human element risk control programs to complete the evaluation.
- Determine how to improve or manage insured accounts’ risk potentials through account engineering, loss control initiatives, and consultative risk control engineering services. This includes selecting insured locations to visit.
- Oversee the development, implementation, and maintenance of engineering standards and guidelines for heavy industry occupancies.
- Provide training and leadership to other loss control engineers and underwriters.
- Conduct site risk evaluations of facilities in heavy industries. Assess the facility’s process flow, machinery, and operations & maintenance practices. Identify risk factors. Use a consultative approach with the insured to reduce the potential for an insurance claim. Write a report about the location, to provide HSB or Munich Re underwriters with a clear understanding of the site.
- 15+ years of experience in operations, maintenance, inspection, or insurance engineering of process equipment associated with high value occupancies such as steel, aluminum, forging, power generation, mining, pulp & paper, sugar, or glass.
- 5+ years of experience leading personnel on overhaul, operation, or installation of major equipment is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related discipline is preferred.
- Comprehensive understanding of the machinery, operations, repair timelines, and process flow of multiple high risk occupancies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Self-starter; able to work with limited supervision and manage competing priorities.
- Understanding of insurance industry and underwriting terms is a plus.
- Ability to travel, including ~30 overnight stays per year.
At The Hartford Steam Boiler, a subsidiary of Munich Re, we see Diversity and Inclusion as a solution to the challenges and opportunities all around us. Our goal is to foster an inclusive culture and build a workforce that reflects the customers we serve and the communities in which we live and work. We strive to provide a workplace where all of our colleagues feel respected, valued and empowered to achieve their very best every day. We recruit and develop talent with a focus on providing our customers the most innovative products and services.