Accountant, IFRS 17 Project, 18 month contract (m/f/d) *
The IFRS 17 Project Accountant will be working with the Technical Accounting Team to ensure the new insurance standard, IFRS 17, is successfully embedded into HSB Canada’s finance and accounting processes. This role is responsible for the implementation of the standard from a technical accounting and operational perspective. This role will be well-suited to a qualified Accountant with experience in the insurance industry, specific experience with IFRS 17 and other regulatory requirements, as well as a candidate with strong project management and relationship-building skills.
- Updating existing reporting processes to integrate IFRS 17 requirements
- Updating and preparing IFRS reporting packages to accommodate IFRS 17, assisting with external audit thereof
- Designing and implementing US GAAP to IFRS reconciliations, related control procedures and establishing an effective close process post-IFRS 17 implementation
- Preparing quarterly and annual reporting documents for parent companies, ensuring consistency across reporting standards
- Researching / analyzing accounting impact of new transactions or business initiatives, including the preparation of IFRS technical accounting papers
- Design and delivery of IFRS 17 training to Finance & Accounting staff, as needed
Driven by technology and fueled by innovation, HSB is Canada’s premier specialty insurance and applied technology services provider. Offering 150 years of technical and service excellence, we are focusing on emerging trends and unlocking new opportunities for clients. Today, we are accelerating, changing the future of insurance and risk solutions, for a modern world.
At HSB, we value the strengths and contributions of our diverse workforce. We offer continuous learning opportunities, giving you flexibility to grow in your career while enjoying a healthy work-life balance and a collaborative approach in our coast-to-coast network of offices. Become part of a rewarding and impactful workplace experience while seeing first-hand technologies and risk solutions that are changing the way we live and work.
HSB is much more! It’s insurance. Engineering. Technology. To learn more about us, please visit: www.hsb.ca
- Bachelor of Commerce or equivalent from an accredited university
- Recognized accounting designation, preference given to a Chartered Professional Accountant
- 5+ years progressive experience in one or more accounting roles
- Knowledge of / experience with IFRS 17 and insurance accounting will be considered a distinct advantage
- Experience with relevant (re) insurance reporting in a corporate environment
- Thorough understanding of IFRS and US GAAP, with specific focus on IFRS 4 and 17
- Strong technical accounting skills - broad and detailed knowledge of IFRS reporting standards and previous exposure to accounting complexities
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to effectively handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment
- Advanced experience with MS Excel and major accounting software packages for general ledger accounting (Sun Systems and SAP preferred)
- Experience with large software or database implementation projects will be considered an advantage
- Experience working closely with actuaries will be considered an advantage
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes respect, diversity and dignity is important to us. We strive for equality in our workplace, to eliminate employment barriers, and promote a workplace based on principles which align with our company values and promote positive employee practices. Candidates requiring accommodation during any stage of our selection process should advise us of this; we will strive to work with individuals to find a suitable means to meet their needs.