Accountant (m/f/d) *
The Accountant is a full-time, permanent member of our operational accounting team focused on treasury, reporting, accounts payables and receivables and is situated at our head office in downtown Toronto. The Accountant participates in month-end closings, prepares various reporting statements, reconciles entries and analyzes financial records with a focus on data accuracy, to provide insights, as well opportunities for process improvements.
- Complete month-end closing processes in accordance with internal and external requirements with an understanding of insurance and reinsurance.
- Review expense entries in the general ledger to verify data alignment with appropriate cost centres and support account integrity, fixed asset and lease accounting.
- Analyze corporate financial records and reconcile accrual entries for the preparation of financial statements for corporate reporting purposes.
- Identify and provide detailed reasoning for variations in account balances.
- Assist in the filing of various government, statistical and/or industry requirements.
- Employ and engage with internal operational / reporting systems in the application of data reporting, understanding of database structures (SQL/MS Access) to accurately build reports for variance analysis.
- Ensure data integrity in support of internal decision making.
- Prepare various financial reporting statements for branch operations, senior management, US parent, and insurance regulators.
- Seek opportunities to update and apply best practices to develop and implement process improvement.
- Advance workflow standards to improve the consistency and accuracy of data utilization.
- Document process changes in accounting procedural manuals to preserve a record of current activities.
- Participate in departmental special projects as requested and provide professional insights and contributions.
Driven by technology and fueled by innovation, HSB is Canada’s premier specialty insurance and applied technology services provider. Offering 150 years of technical and service excellence, we are focusing on emerging trends and unlocking new opportunities for clients. Today, we are accelerating, changing the future of insurance and risk solutions, for a modern world.
At HSB, we value the strengths and contributions of our diverse workforce. We offer continuous learning opportunities, giving you flexibility to grow in your career while enjoying a healthy work-life balance and a collaborative approach in our coast-to-coast network of offices. Become part of a rewarding and impactful experience while seeing first-hand technologies and risk solutions that are changing the way we live and work.
HSB is much more! It’s insurance. Engineering. Technology. To learn more about us, please visit www.hsb.ca
- Bachelor’s degree and working towards / completion of a recognized accounting designation, CPA preferred.
- 3 - 5 years progressive experience in the accounting, preferably in property & casualty insurance.
- Process oriented with excellent analytical and accounting skills.
- Strong capabilities in IT, data warehouse, data extraction, reporting and analytics.
- Intermediate to advanced experience with MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access and major accounting software packages for general ledger accounting, Sun Systems and SAP preferred.
- Must be able to effectively handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a deadline driven environment.
- Knowledge of SAP Objects and/or MS Query an asset.
- Excellent verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
Creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes respect, diversity and dignity is important to us. We strive for equality in our workplace, to eliminate employment barriers, and promote a workplace based on principles which align with our company values and promote positive employee practices. Candidates requiring accommodation during any stage of our selection process should advise us of this; we will strive to work with individuals to find a suitable means to meet their needs.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for interview will be contacted.