Manager Accounting Operations and Systems
Driven by technology and fuelled by innovation, HSB is Canada’s premier specialty insurance and applied technology services provider. Offering 150 years of technical and service excellence, we are focusing on emerging trends and unlocking new opportunities for clients. Today, we are accelerating, changing the future of insurance and risk solutions, for a modern world.
At HSB, we value the strengths and contributions of our diverse workforce. We offer continuous learning opportunities, giving you flexibility to grow in your career while enjoying a healthy work-life balance and a collaborative approach in our coast-to-coast network of offices. Become part of a rewarding and impactful workplace experience while seeing first-hand technologies and risk solutions that are changing the way we live and work.
HSB is much more! It’s insurance. Engineering. Technology. To learn more about us, please visit: https://www.hsb.ca.
Toronto , Canada
Reporting to the VP of Finance, the Manager Accounting Operations & Systems plays a pivotal role in providing expertise in areas of financial reporting and financial planning/forecasting. This role is ideal for a business-minded, dynamic CPA holder who is equipped with a strong background in financial accounting and reporting and is seeking to build a career with a niche insurance company.
- Leadership of a large team to meet deadlines in the accurate and timely closure of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial results.
- Financial Closing, including overseeing/managing:
- Invoicing of premiums and services, accurate and timely application of cash receipts.
- Receipt, review, and processing of external and intercompany invoices including timely payment.
- Monthly balance sheet reconciliation.
- Bi-weekly travel and expenses reimbursement.
- Annual provision of key audit figures to the Manager – Technical Accounting.
- Operations, including:
- Liaising with Actuarial, Operations, and Claims teams.
- Establishing and maintaining accounting best procedures and practices.
- Monitoring compliance with current Canadian accounting requirements and regulations.
- Systems, including overseeing and administering:
- Access to Finance department systems.
- Training and guidance on department systems.
- Maintenance of procedures and practices.
- Coaching, mentoring, and development of team members.
- Regulatory Reporting, including planning and coordinating the provision of key figures to the Manager – Regulatory Reporting.
- Other ad hoc requests as they arise.
- Bachelor’s in Accounting or equivalent from an accredited university,
- Recognized accounting designation, preference given to a Chartered Professional Accountant,
- 5+ years’ experience in the accounting and insurance industry (preferably property & casualty),
- Thorough understanding of US GAAP and IFRS (including basic knowledge of IFRS 17),
- Experience using Sun Financial Systems and SAP preferred,
- Knowledge of Power BI reporting tool an asset,
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a deadline-driven environment.