Principal Account Engineer - Chemical
Houston , United States
Chemical – Principal Account Engineer – Work Remote
Use your experience as a chemical process engineer to become an integral member of HSB’s heavy industry engineering team … all while primarily working from home!
If you become a Principal Account Engineer with HSB, you will visit manufacturing facilities, consult with site leadership, and also analyze the facility’s equipment, maintenance, training, and contingency planning. While on site, you will identify possible insurance claims, and work consultatively with customers to reduce their risk potential. You will also consult with HSB underwriters on machinery insurance coverage offerings, update guidelines, and teach internal audiences about the process flow, machinery, and potential equipment failures.
As a new team member, you will focus on the industries you are familiar with. As you develop further in this role, you will evaluate businesses in other heavy industries. The team works in chemical production, gases, pharmaceutical manufacturing, iron & steel, renewable & traditional power generation, mining, pulp & paper, sugar, and glass manufacturing. Team members work cooperatively to support HSB’s heavy industry insurance programs.
At HSB, our engineering teams support the insurance and advancement of equipment and technology. We evaluate and insure some of the world’s largest industrial, power, and manufacturing sites. Apply to join our growing team!
Internal Job Title: Principal Risk Specialist
- Write evaluations of insured accounts and potential new customers for HSB or Munich Re underwriters, by evaluating available information on multiple sites which make up the account. Apply advanced technical knowledge of equipment design, condition, operations, maintenance, and human element risk control programs to complete the evaluation.
- Determine how to improve or manage insured accounts’ risk potentials through account engineering, loss control initiatives, and consultative risk control engineering services. This includes selecting insured locations to visit.
- Turn your knowledge in to guidance for others: oversee the development, implementation, and maintenance of engineering standards for heavy industry occupancies.
- Provide training and leadership to other loss control engineers and underwriters.
- Conduct site risk evaluations of facilities. Assess the facility’s process flow, machinery, and operations & maintenance practices. Identify risk factors. Use a consultative approach with the insured to reduce the potential for an insurance claim. Write a report about the location, to provide HSB or Munich Re underwriters with a clear understanding of the site.
- 15+ years of experience in operations, maintenance, inspection, or insurance engineering of process equipment associated with high value industries such as chemical production, pharmaceutical manufacturing, steel, aluminum, forging, power generation, mining, pulp & paper, sugar, or glass.
- 5+ years of experience leading personnel is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related discipline is preferred.
- Comprehensive understanding of the machinery, operations, repair timelines, and process flow of multiple heavy industry occupancies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Self-starter; able to work with limited supervision and manage competing priorities.
- Understanding of insurance industry and underwriting terms is a plus.
- Ability to travel, including ~30 overnight stays per year.
Benefits for this position include a competitive salary & benefits, paid time off, +5% 401(k) match plus an additional +2% to +5% Retirement Savings Plan contribution to your 401(k).
At The Hartford Steam Boiler, a subsidiary of Munich Re, we see Diversity and Inclusion as a solution to the challenges and opportunities all around us. Our goal is to foster an inclusive culture and build a workforce that reflects the customers we serve and the communities in which we live and work. We strive to provide a workplace where all of our colleagues feel respected, valued and empowered to achieve their very best every day. We recruit and develop talent with a focus on providing our customers the most innovative products and services.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. The work environment characteristics, and any physical and mental requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.