Data Researcher - NA Data Hunting
Princeton , United States
Your jobJob Description
Access to increasing volumes of data, computing power, and data analytics capabilities is transforming the insurance industry and has an impact on all parts of the insurance value chain. The Data and Analytics (DAA) Division is newly founded and dedicated to data hunting, big data and data analytics. We drive and coordinate Munich Re’s agenda on data, advanced analytics, machine learning and AI. Our goal is to enable new and better business via data-centric solutions and create new strategic options through data & analytics excellence.
Data Hunting is the key partner for services around data. We are providing Business and Central Units with high quality data and invest in the creation of data assets. At the exciting forefront of the digital transformation and the rapidly growing importance of data, we aim to both improve our insurance/reinsurance business and develop new solutions and services. Against the backdrop of these dynamic developments it is paramount that we develop and constantly adjust an effective data strategy for Munich Re.
The Global Data Hunting team is based out of Munich and North America and works with partners across the globe. The team closely liaises and jointly drives projects with business units, central functions, and innovation teams. We are seeking a Data Researcher to join our team. This position will be responsible for understanding the objectives and needs of business units, ideating and collaborating to identify and develop data-based use cases, and executing on projects which provide relevant data to the business units. The role will also support the successful marketing and demonstration of use cases and share knowledge gained from these engagements throughout the Munich Re Group. Through this work you will develop an in-depth understanding of the business models of the Munich Re companies and how data is being used to enable new solutions in (re)insurance and beyond. As the scope is broad and the business environment is dynamic, we are seeking someone with a strong technical and business background and with the creativity, drive, and dedication to initiate and execute new solutions.
Key Responsibilities of this position include:
- Execute on and lead projects to provide relevant data and solutions to business units and innovation areas across Munich Re
- Contribute to the development and implementation of new data products and solutions and the development of Munich Re data assets in defined areas
- Research and establish technical data solutions to acquire and structure different types of data and develop into products / solutions
- Collaborate closely with the business and innovation units to understand their objectives and data needs, identify promising data-based use cases and identify internal and external data sources
- Contribute to the ongoing development on a strategic data topic as part of an internal team focusing on a type of data of strategic importance to Munich Re’s business (e.g. buildings, companies, etc.).
- Negotiate agreements with data providers
- Support the business units in discussions with their clients and partners with regard to data availability and joint projects around data access
- Actively market new data solutions to relevant stakeholders and drive transparency regarding existing and potentially available data across Munich Re
Your profileQualifications / Job Requirements:
- Passion for data combined with customer-centric mindset
- Understanding of primary/reinsurance business (e.g. underwriting, actuarial/analytics, claims) with at least 5 years of hands-on experience
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with 3+ years of hands-on experience working with data
- Experience with product management and/or developing data-based solutions for clients (internal or external)
- Experience leading projects
- Experience in building and maintaining relationships (internally and externally)
- Drive and dedication, as well as creativity and hands-on attitude to initiate and execute use cases
- Curiosity in searching for new solutions outside of traditional approaches
- Tech savviness and a willingness to experiment with and learn new technologies and keep abreast of new and emerging technologies
- Proficiency with a tool (or multiple tools) to structure and use data such as SQL, PowerBI, Excel, R, Python
- Excellent ability to communicate to both technical and non-technical communities
We are an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Munich Re America Services, Inc. is a services provider to affiliated group companies primarily related to general services, procurement and IT services.