VMware Engineer - Remote
Cincinnati , United States
Your jobMunich Re America Services (MRAS) is a shared service organization that delivers services to all Munich Re US P&C Companies and other group entities.
As a member of Munich Re's operations, we offer the financial strength and stability that comes with being part of the world's preeminent insurance and reinsurance brand. Our risk experts work together to assemble the right mix of products and services to help our clients stay competitive – from traditional reinsurance coverages, to niche and specialty reinsurance and insurance products.
We are looking for an experienced VMware Specialist to assist in the successful development, implementation and oversight of our VMWare VCF & AVS environments. This position can be located in either Princeton or Cincinnati and will report directly to the Head of Infrastructure Engineering in London.
The section Digital Operations is driving a program that will deliver the biggest core infrastructure change to Munich Re Group. The program is improving or replacing platform services for public and private cloud including compute, storage, middleware as well as core IT infrastructure services. The project also includes lifecycle management based on EA standards via design and build project activities.
- Responsibility for Server Virtualization and for VDI
- Responsibility for infrastructure security (hardening measures, patches)
- Responsibility for the integration of management tools for virtualization, including monitoring, backup, administration design, AD connection, automation)
- Being a point of escalation for operational teams on VMware topics / Support of IT operations within the framework of task forces
- Participation in cross-service global infrastructure projects. Building relationships with Global IT team and offering advice and support
- Support of infrastructure architects in overarching architectural decisions
- Design of fail-safe architectures in compliance with security and business continuity requirements
- Management of the lifecycle of the components and products in the area of responsibility within the framework of projects in close cooperation with the RUN Infrastructure department and the external providers
- IT Internal global coordination and communication in technical infrastructure Changes in the area of responsibility
- Technical definition of reports, KPIs and SLAs for controlling the infrastructure operations of the providers. Regular quality assurance of the infrastructure design in the RUN
- Evaluate proposals from external provider for infrastructure design adaptions
- Support of the Risk & Security department in the context of security and governance audits
- Create concepts and documentation, as well as coordinate architectural adjustments
- Technical university studies (preferably in the IT sector) or several years of professional experience with sound IT infrastructure knowledge
- In-depth knowledge of current VMware ESX versions and VMware management tools such as Virtual Center, Site Recovery Manager, Operations Manager and Log Insight
- Experience in VMware vSAN, VMware vRealize Automation and VMware VCF
- Experience in Microsoft Azure VMware Solution
- Basic knowledge on VMware NSX-T security, gateway firewalls and load balancers
- Completion of a current VMWare manufacturer certification
- Experience in Intel server hardware design and with hardware management products (Like DELL VXRail, DELL SCG …)
- Experience in managing hybrid cloud environments, public (Azure) and private cloud. Strong understanding of IaaS on Azure is ideal
- Experience in creating Power Shell scripts and in infrastructure automation
- Experience to all adjacent interfaces, such as Windows Server 2019, Windows Workplace, LAN, WAN, Storage, DMZ, Backup, AD, SQL, Azure Dashboard, Azure Site Recovery
- Strong persuasiveness and presentation skills in the presentation of complex contexts as well as willingness to learn and use
- Experience in working in technical projects and in virtual teams as well as in the coordination and control of external service providers
- Willingness to evaluate and implement innovative architectures, even outside of one's own responsibility
- Analytical and methodological competence for the creation of technical concepts
- Ability to work well under pressure, self-motivated, and eager to implement changes
- Very good knowledge of spoken and written English
At Munich Re US, we see Diversity and Inclusion as a solution to the challenges and opportunities all around us. Our goal is to foster an inclusive culture and build a workforce that reflects the customers we serve and the communities in which we live and work. We strive to provide a workplace where all of our colleagues feel respected, valued and empowered to achieve their very best every day. We recruit and develop talent with a focus on providing our customers the most innovative products and services.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Munich Re America Services, Inc. is a services provider to affiliated group companies primarily related to general services, procurement and IT services.