Munich Re America Services
Princeton , United States
We’re adding to our diverse team of experts and are looking to hire one Actuary to enrich our Global Clients/North America United States (GC/NA US) Business Unit Reserving team within Corporate Reserving.
The responsibility of Corporate Reserving is to use quantitative and qualitative methods to perform and oversee the loss reserve analyses for Munich Re’s property and casualty business in the US. This includes continuous monitoring of the reserve position, developing a core understanding of the GC/NA US portfolio, and communicating the impact of reserving analyses and decisions on the financial results of GC/NA US. Additional responsibilities are the assessment and quantification of reserve uncertainty and reserve risk, which may extend to loss types such as asbestos and environmental or other broad industry events, as well as the ensuring the reserve risk reflects the uniqueness of the business unit’s portfolio and market conditions and trends.
As part of the GC/NA Reserving team, your role is to become a strategic partner with our business unit utilizing actuarial know how, while broadening and deepening portfolio knowledge accompanied with market trends to provide business insights to support profitable growth. This partnership must be developed, while maintaining an objective ownership to the balance sheet strength of Munich Re.
- Establishing key relationships with the GC/NA Business Unit to create a trusting environment that facilitates open and honest communication
- Communicating and acting as an interface between Corporate Reserving and the GC/NA Business Unit team, Global Reserving team, as well as Controlling, Planning, Accounting and Claims staff locally and globally
- Enhancing reserve analyses by working with the business unit to understand strategy, portfolio performance, and trends within the marketplace
- Performing actuarial analyses including reserve review, actual vs. expected comparisons, and focused portfolio analyses
- Providing the business unit understanding and insight into their results due to the combined impact of their strategy, portfolio performance, external factors, and reserving decisions
- Collaborating in a diverse team with various backgrounds and skills aiming to maximize the quality of Corporate Reserving’s deliverables and the success of the Munich Re group
- Building trusted relationships and aligning different interests in a complex organization
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, mathematics, actuarial science or a similar qualification with a strong quantitative focus; Masters or MBA preferred
- ACAS (or comparable actuarial society)
- Experience in non-life (re)insurance (applicable experience can include reserving, pricing, underwriting, risk management, controlling or similar disciplines)
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills with emphasis on practical application
- Experience with insurance-related databases and data warehouses preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Strong project management, process optimization and change management skill
At Munich Re US, we see Diversity and Inclusion as a solution to the challenges and opportunities all around us. Our goal is to foster an inclusive culture and build a workforce that reflects the customers we serve and the communities in which we live and work. We strive to provide a workplace where all of our colleagues feel respected, valued and empowered to achieve their very best every day. We recruit and develop talent with a focus on providing our customers the most innovative products and services.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.