Property Underwriter E&S
New York , United States
Your jobWe are open to this position being located in Chicago, Philadelphia, New York, San Francisco or Atlanta.
We’re adding to our diverse team of experts and are looking to hire those who are committed to building a culture that enables the creation of innovative solutions for our business units and clients.
The Insurance Operations
Munich Re US is launching new insurance operations described as Munich Re Specialty Insurance** that will unite the strengths and expertise of Munich Re’s specialty commercial teams in North America under a new management structure. This will allow for the development of an overarching sales strategy through which the specialty risk appetite and product offerings can be profitably optimized and expanded.
As a member of Munich Re's US operations, we offer the financial strength and stability that comes with being part of the world's preeminent insurance and reinsurance brand. Our risk experts work together to assemble the right mix of products and services to help our clients stay competitive – from traditional reinsurance coverages, to niche and specialty reinsurance and insurance products.
As a member of our E&S team, you’ll be responsible for the production, underwriting and retention of profitable E&S business through the cultivation and maintenance of broker relationships.
Because we’re committed to finding the best talent, we are open to considering candidates with a range of experience. Compensation, level and accountabilities for the selected candidate will be commensurate with experience.
Major responsibilities include:
- Underwrite, market, quote, bind and retain a profitable book of excess and surplus lines business that meets profitability and growth targets. Operate within granted authority and allocated catastrophe budgets and make referrals to underwriting leadership as appropriate.
- Development and execution of production strategies and business plans to implement and maximize growth objectives and rate goals. Coordination with other Munich Re business units is expected and encouraged to offer the best holistic solutions to our clients.
- Measure and optimize portfolio progress by reviewing and analyzing underwriting data and monitoring industry best practices to identify opportunities for continuous improvement
- Cultivate and maintain professional wholesale broker relationships.
- Represent the Munich Re brand and Munich Re Specialty Insurance at client events, seminars, meetings, etc.
- Assistance in day to day operations and projects as assigned which could have client, business group, divisional and corporate impact.
*Munich Re Specialty Insurance / MRSI is a description for the insurance business operations of affiliated insurers, producers, and related service providers of the Munich Re (Group) that share a common mission, management, operating platform, and vision to offer specialty property and casualty products and services in Canada and the United States.
The products and services are to be delivered by and in the name of AAIC, PESLIC, BIC, Temple, and B&C.
Your profileSuccessful candidates will be possess the following skills/capabilities:
- Excellent underwriting, marketing and analytical skills that have been developed over 5+ years of insurance and/or reinsurance with production underwriting experience preferably at an E&S carrier for Property lines
- Advanced insurance certifications (e.g. CPCU) preferred
- Advanced working knowledge of Commercial P&C / E&S products and insurance concepts, UW processes and procedures, laws and regulations, terminology, concepts and principles related to strategic planning, and other relevant industry trends
- Working knowledge of catastrophe models including RMS
- Successful track record of developing and maintaining strong relationships with wholesale brokers
- Tech savviness and a willingness to experiment with and learn new technologies
- Ability to think strategically and function tactically
- Exceptional communication skills that energize and engage brokers, clients and colleagues and the ability to convey a vision and client-focused solutions
- Ability to present and negotiate complex agreements with brokers
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Willingness to travel 20%-30%
At Munich Re US, we see Diversity and Inclusion as a solution to the challenges and opportunities all around us. Our goal is to foster an inclusive culture and build a workforce that reflects the customers we serve and the communities in which we live and work. We strive to provide a workplace where all of our colleagues feel respected, valued and empowered to achieve their very best every day. We recruit and develop talent with a focus on providing our customers the most innovative products and services.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Founded in 1917, Munich Reinsurance America, Inc. is one of the largest reinsurers in the United States. Munich Reinsurance America, Inc. has earned the A+ (Superior) financial strength rating from A.M. Best Company - that's among the highest in the industry. Over 1,000 employees serve our clients from our Princeton, New Jersey campus and regional offices throughout the United States.
As a member of Munich Re's US operations, we offer the financial strength and stability that comes with being part of the world's preeminent insurance and reinsurance brand. Our risk experts work together to assemble the right mix of products and services to help you stay competitive - from traditional reinsurance coverages, to niche and specialty reinsurance and insurance products.