Senior Data Scientist
New York , United States
Your jobSenior Data Scientist-Munich Engine
Munich Engine is a strategic innovation initiative of Munich Re which operates in two locations, Munich and New York City. As the potential of the business model has been proven, Munich Engine got transitioned from its project status into an organizational unit and became part of Munich Re Specialty Insurance (MRSI). Goal of the team is to rethink underwriting and create the next generation digital underwriting engine. Data centricity, automation, the combination of traditional actuarial methods with new machine learning and sophisticated portfolio steering are the technological core of Munich Engine’s value proposition.
We are seeking a new member for our data science team in Munich or New York City. As a Senior Data Scientist, you will be responsible for pricing innovation and delivering insights into the economic reaction of our customers. We use a wide array of techniques to deliver business value and strive to continuously improve processes to deliver advanced, accurate models. We are a highly collaborative team, so expect to work closely with actuarial, product management, software engineer, and data engineer colleagues to deliver a cohesive, data-focused product.
This role provides a unique opportunity to create/serve machine learning models (via APIs) to build and further enhance the core of an innovative digital underwriting product.
- Develop economic decision models
- Develop and enhance loss cost models (product pricing)
- Automate machine learning model pipelines (ETL through model delivery) with production ready rigor
- Deliver insights from data with advanced analytics
- Develop new ideas how to improve Munich Engine’s value proposition
- Test/create alternative pricing data features
- Evaluate third party data sources
- Take ownership over tasks, delegating items to data science colleagues
- 3-5 years of work experience as a Data Scientist (insurance/reinsurance industry preferred)
- Ability to take high level requirements and translate them into detailed technical tasks
- Proficient in Python and SQL
- Masters degree in quantitative discipline (statistics preferred)
- 3+ years coding with an object oriented programming language
- Ability to communicate efficiently w/ your quantitatively oriented team colleagues
- Ability to communicate quantitative model to non-quantitative colleagues, clients and stakeholders and convince them to adopt the technology (nice to have)
- Experience serving machine learning models via an API (nice to have)
We are an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Founded in 1917, Munich Reinsurance America, Inc. is one of the largest reinsurers in the United States. Munich Reinsurance America, Inc. has earned the A+ (Superior) financial strength rating from A.M. Best Company - that's among the highest in the industry. Over 1,000 employees serve our clients from our Princeton, New Jersey campus and regional offices throughout the United States.
As a member of Munich Re's US operations, we offer the financial strength and stability that comes with being part of the world's preeminent insurance and reinsurance brand. Our risk experts work together to assemble the right mix of products and services to help you stay competitive - from traditional reinsurance coverages, to niche and specialty reinsurance and insurance products.