Actuarial Manager Senior, Tools and Methods
New York , United States
Your job* We will consider candidates in the following U.S. locations: Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Cincinnati, Columbus (Ohio), Hartford (CT), New York City, Philadelphia, Princeton (NJ), San Francisco and Scottsdale.
We’re adding to our diverse team of experts and are looking to hire those who are committed to building a
culture that enables the creation of innovative solutions for our business units and clients.
The Insurance Operations
Munich Re US launched new insurance operations described as Munich Re Specialty Insurance (MRSI) that unites the strengths and expertise of Munich Re’s specialty commercial teams in North America. This allows for the development of an overarching sales strategy through which the specialty risk appetite and product offerings can be profitably optimized and expanded.
As a member of Munich Re's US operations, we offer the financial strength and stability that comes with being part of the world's preeminent insurance and reinsurance brand. Our risk experts work together to assemble the right mix of products and services to help our clients stay competitive – from traditional reinsurance coverages, to niche and specialty reinsurance and insurance products.
Future focused and always one step ahead
The Actuarial Manager Senior will lead a team of actuarial and analytics professionals charged with leveraging data and technology to drive advances in pricing, monitoring and steering across MRSI business units.
Key to the achievement of our goals is to become a digital enterprise which leverages data analytics in order to make decisions about current and future risks, you’ll be empowered and expected to support and add to our culture of innovation and the data vision for the future.
In this position you will:
- Identify opportunities for advances in pricing, monitoring and steering of MRSI business, including data capture and supplementation, pricing and analytical tools and methods, pricing parameters/benchmarks, KPIs, portfolio deep dives, pricing tool governance/best practices.
- Lead and successfully execute plan to advance pricing tool set:
- Direct and lead the development of new methodologies, products and procedures for the company, including the integration of traditional actuarial techniques and advanced analytics.
- Lead the development, maintenance and enhancement of actuarial models which support the business plan and develop written specifications for IT.
- Lead efforts to streamline processes and workflow as requested.
- Lead the communication, documentation and coordination of information, technical issues, and activities between actuarial departments as well as with internal & external colleagues and clients.
- Provide leadership in the training of underwriters, client managers, underwriting assistants and other actuaries regarding actuarial analyses and methodologies.
- Support development and refinement of pricing parameters and benchmarks
- Develop and implement pricing tool governance framework in accordance with model risk management principles, including:
- Publishing best practices/standards regarding tool building, maintenance, refresh and documentation
- Monitoring adherence to those practices
- Identifying and rectifying gaps/shortfalls
- Maintaining and managing pricing tool inventory
- Manage the work of diverse project teams including other actuaries, programmers and support staff, as needed.
- Develop and lead a program to develop and advance the technological skill sets of actuarial team.
- Complete peer reviews on actuarial work and provide constructive feedback, as needed. Maintain consistency of methods as appropriate.
- Create and deliver actuarial presentations to internal & external clients and all levels of management as requested.
Your profileSuccessful candidates will possess the following skills and experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Economics, Finance, Statistics or related field requiring modeling, programming, or quantitative analysis..
- Membership in the Casualty Actuarial Society with the attainment of Fellowship (FCAS) and membership in the American Academy of Actuaries (MAAA).
- Twelve (12) years of insurance/actuarial experience.
- Strong knowledge technology and analytics.
- Five (5) years of management experience (direct and/or non-direct reports).
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to influence and negotiate with others and create acceptance for proposals.
- Good time management skills
- Excellent computer skills including model building and data capture
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
At Munich Re US, we see Diversity and Inclusion as a solution to the challenges and opportunities all around us. Our goal is to foster an inclusive culture and build a workforce that reflects the customers we serve and the communities in which we live and work. We strive to provide a workplace where all of our colleagues feel respected, valued and empowered to achieve their very best every day. We recruit and develop talent with a focus on providing our customers the most innovative products and services.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Founded in 1917, Munich Reinsurance America, Inc. is one of the largest reinsurers in the United States. Munich Reinsurance America, Inc. has earned the A+ (Superior) financial strength rating from A.M. Best Company - that's among the highest in the industry. Over 1,000 employees serve our clients from our Princeton, New Jersey campus and regional offices throughout the United States.
As a member of Munich Re's US operations, we offer the financial strength and stability that comes with being part of the world's preeminent insurance and reinsurance brand. Our risk experts work together to assemble the right mix of products and services to help you stay competitive - from traditional reinsurance coverages, to niche and specialty reinsurance and insurance products.