Head of E&S Primary Casualty
New York , United States
Your jobHead of E&S Primary Casualty
We’re searching for our diverse team of experts and are looking to hire those who are committed to building a culture that enables the creation of innovative solutions for our business units and clients.
As a member of Munich Re's US operations, we offer the financial strength and stability that comes with being part of the world's preeminent insurance and reinsurance brand. Our risk experts work together to assemble the right mix of products and services to help our clients stay competitive – from traditional reinsurance coverages, to niche and specialty reinsurance and insurance products.
Future focused and always one step ahead
As Head of Primary Casualty Underwriting for Munich Re E&S, you will be responsible for developing and executing the wholesale segment’s strategy to achieve profit, quality, growth, diversification, and operational objectives by developing and maintaining effective external relationships with brokers which fully promote and represent the Munich Re E&S brand.
The position is responsible for the overall underwriting integrity, product and program development, management of staff, advancement of business processes and systems, wholesale broker relations, and regulatory compliance. The ideal candidate for this role possesses strong primary commercial casualty underwriting expertise and will actively support and drive Munich Re Group’s talent-related goals to create and sustain a high performance culture and diverse workforce. Work collaboratively with Excess Casualty underwriting leader and team to ensure one voice for Munich Re E&S Casualty.
- Lead the development and expansion of the company’s wholesale primary General Liability product lines. Identify target markets and opportunities. Develop new products and programs, including conducting market and competitor research, crafting underwriting guidelines, forms and rates, and coordinating marketing and implementation.
- Be responsible for the wholesale Primary General Liability underwriting strategy and operating model (mission, vision, objectives, target segments/niches, distribution, strategic growth plans, etc.)
- Acquire, train and motivate and lead personnel to achieve business unit objectives and to assist with building/managing the Casualty E&S book of business (e.g., underwriting and product leadership, etc.)
- Maintain underwriting policy within Munich Re guidelines
- Maintain important distribution relationships; own responsibilities of marketing & distribution for near-to-mid term
- Exercise innovative problem solving portfolio and provide insight for profitability, growth and financial stability
- Grow the Primary General Liability E&S book of business and maintain overall performance against financial targets
Your profileSuccessful Candidate will:
- Drive the implementation of the Group, Company & Division plans for Casualty E&S.
- Have the ability to inspire, motivate & build a team
- Drive corporate initiatives while maintaining focus on the bottom line & leverages both the formal & informal organizational structures
- Have the ability to influence internal and external stakeholders/ clients
- Create an environment that encourages diversity of thought and opinions
- Resolve the most complex problems and questions by developing innovative solutions to meet client and organizational needs
- 15+ years spent in P&C insurance, preferably at an E&S carrier in leadership role for Casualty lines
- 10+ years of management experience
- Bachelor degree
- Advanced insurance designations (CPCU preferred)
- Advanced working knowledge of E&S products and insurance concepts, underwriting processes and procedures, laws and regulations, terminology, concepts and principles related to strategic planning, and other relevant industry trends
- Established reputation in the E&S market, with an extensive network of existing relationships in wholesale and retail brokerage markets
- Proven record of growing and maintaining profitable portfolios, preferably in specialized niches and across geographies
- Experience with establishing, growing, and maintaining startup companies and/or business units preferred
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to build rapport and teamwork, resolve conflicts, and motivate staff/teams
- Strong understanding of accounting, finance and actuarial concepts and how they act as levers for the business.
- Ability to develop & execute plans and to provide strategic direction to the development & achievement of division goals.
At Munich Re US, we see Diversity and Inclusion as a solution to the challenges and opportunities all around us. Our goal is to foster an inclusive culture and build a workforce that reflects the customers we serve and the communities in which we live and work. We strive to provide a workplace where all of our colleagues feel respected, valued and empowered to achieve their very best every day. We recruit and develop talent with a focus on providing our customers the most innovative products and services.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Founded in 1917, Munich Reinsurance America, Inc. is one of the largest reinsurers in the United States. Munich Reinsurance America, Inc. has earned the A+ (Superior) financial strength rating from A.M. Best Company - that's among the highest in the industry. Over 1,000 employees serve our clients from our Princeton, New Jersey campus and regional offices throughout the United States.
As a member of Munich Re's US operations, we offer the financial strength and stability that comes with being part of the world's preeminent insurance and reinsurance brand. Our risk experts work together to assemble the right mix of products and services to help you stay competitive - from traditional reinsurance coverages, to niche and specialty reinsurance and insurance products.