Sr. Application Developer
New York , United States
Your jobThis is the rare opportunity to join an extraordinary team of people on an exceptional mission. You will become a member of the Munich Engine team, a successful innovation initiative of Munich Re which got spun-out into a business unit and which is building the next generation digital underwriting engine.
The team you join has a start-up entrepreneurial culture but operates within a large, high profile global company - the world’s leading reinsurance company.
Munich Engine is a strategic initiative of Munich Re which operates in two locations, Munich and New York City. We operate as a technology startup, owned by Munich Re and part of Munich Re Specialty Insurance and our vision is to rethink underwriting and create the next generation digital underwriting technology. Our technology product is designed and built based on modern software engineering paradigms, has data enabled automation at its core and started to get deployed at scale. Our underwriting solution combines Munich Re’s actuarial and modelling expertise with machine learning.
We are seeking a Senior Software/DevOps Engineer for our team in New York. We are a highly collaborative team, so expect to work closely with actuarial, product management, data science and data engineer colleagues to deliver a cohesive software product. In your role you will:
- Guide and translate business decisions into technical designs
- Validate concepts with various stakeholders (Product Managers, Actuaries, Data Scientists, Customers, ...)
- Independently Implement, test and deploy the solutions fast and precise to reach a short time-to-market and high quality standards
- Proactively contribute your ideas on how technology can create value for our product
- Document decisions and their impact on the system and its stakeholders
- Integrate the component into a data-driven insurance product and help clients to integrate the Munich Engine APIs into their systems
- Operate the solution, collect feedback and derive actions
Your profileMandatory Qualifications
- 7+ years of hands-on experience in software development over the whole product life cycle
- Master’s degree in computer science/information systems or related field of study (or equivalent work experience).
- 5+ years of experience in developing in cloud native solutions, microservice systems and cloud providers (Microsoft Azure is a plus)
- Detailed knowledge and architectural understanding of distributed systems, resilience patterns and cloud databases (esp. document-DBs and relational DBs)
- A high degree of commitment and the willingness and ability to master a broad spectrum of tasks
- Ability to communicate efficiently with engineers, actuaries and underwriters
- Embracing the mindset of an agile working environmentQ
- Experience in digital insurance platforms and ecosystems or in the insurance industry (preferably US personal and commercial lines) with an understanding of underwriting and policy lifecycle
- Experience as an Artificial Intelligence-/Machine Learning Engineer
- Experience with Advanced Analytics and Big Data (esp. data extraction, transformation and visualization)
- Knowledge about configuration and deployment of Infrastructure as Code
- Knowledge about container ecosystem (e.g. Docker, Swarm, Kubernetes, helm, Istio, Linkerd)
- Strong interest in IT-/cyber security
- Interest in architectural patterns like domain-driven design, event-sourcing or CQRS
At Munich Re US, we see Diversity and Inclusion as a solution to the challenges and opportunities all around us. Our goal is to foster an inclusive culture and build a workforce that reflects the customers we serve and the communities in which we live and work. We strive to provide a workplace where all of our colleagues feel respected, valued and empowered to achieve their very best every day. We recruit and develop talent with a focus on providing our customers the most innovative products and services.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Founded in 1917, Munich Reinsurance America, Inc. is one of the largest reinsurers in the United States. Munich Reinsurance America, Inc. has earned the A+ (Superior) financial strength rating from A.M. Best Company - that's among the highest in the industry. Over 1,000 employees serve our clients from our Princeton, New Jersey campus and regional offices throughout the United States.
As a member of Munich Re's US operations, we offer the financial strength and stability that comes with being part of the world's preeminent insurance and reinsurance brand. Our risk experts work together to assemble the right mix of products and services to help you stay competitive - from traditional reinsurance coverages, to niche and specialty reinsurance and insurance products.