Corporate Underwriting Specialist - Commercial Auto Liability & APD
New York , United States
Your jobThis position can be located in Atlanta, Philadelphia, Chicago, New York, or San Francisco.
We’re adding to our diverse team of experts and are looking to hire those who are committed to building a culture that enables the creation of innovative solutions for our business units and clients.
The Insurance Operations
Munich Re US has launched a new insurance operation described as Munich Re Specialty Insurance (MRSI) that unites the strengths and expertise of Munich Re’s specialty commercial teams in North America under a new management structure. This allows for the development of an overarching sales strategy where the specialty risk appetite and product offerings are profitably optimized and expanded.
As a member of Munich Re's US operations, we offer the financial strength and stability that comes with being part of the world's preeminent insurance and reinsurance brand. Our risk experts work together to assemble the right mix of products and services to help our clients stay competitive – from traditional reinsurance coverages, to niche and specialty reinsurance and insurance products.
Future focused and always one step ahead
This Corporate Underwriting role will be responsible for significant contributions to the oversight, monitoring, and steering of automobile lines of business in support of the Corporate Underwriting Office.
In this position you will:
- Assist Corporate Underwriting leadership in evaluating new opportunities, building underwriting guidelines, defining appetite, and creating a rating framework across numerous commercial automobile liability and APD lines
- Ensure application of consistent guidelines/standards across MRSI business units with the aim to reduce friction in the underwriting process and ensure underwriting discipline across and within our suite of products
- Serve as a product and coverage expert for a broad array of lines, including: compulsory motor, excess motor, auto physical damage, and tech enabled fleets utilizing a UBI rating model
- Support business plan execution while stressing bottom line profitability
- Manage referral structures, including letters of authority, and promptly respond to underwriting referrals
- Lead and/or participate on underwriting audits, including follow-up actions.
- Support development of policy wording and ensure wording is fit for product purpose
- Actively seek out developing risk management and mitigation techniques through underwriting/product research and participation on industry panels
- Work closely with actuarial and underwriting leaders to implement and enforce pricing positions
- Participate in training of others (e.g. underwriters, client managers, and actuaries) regarding policy and coverage issues, industry trends, and other technical underwriting topics
Your profileSuccessful candidates will be possess the following skills/capabilities:
- Significant depth of underwriting expertise developed over 8+ years of insurance or reinsurance experience
- In-depth knowledge of auto liability line of business, including: policy wording and structure, legal and regulatory issues, and underwriting process
- Standard and non-standard business experience preferred
- Desire to contribute to innovative product development and experience in development of new products
- Legal education and/or advanced insurance certification highly preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite; Excel skills required and Power BI preferred
- Strong communication skills and an eagerness to work with others in order to find solutions
- Time management and organizational skills are critical
- Willingness to travel 10%-15%
At Munich Re US, we see Diversity and Inclusion as a solution to the challenges and opportunities all around us. Our goal is to foster an inclusive culture and build a workforce that reflects the customers we serve and the communities in which we live and work. We strive to provide a workplace where all of our colleagues feel respected, valued and empowered to achieve their very best every day. We recruit and develop talent with a focus on providing our customers the most innovative products and services.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Founded in 1917, Munich Reinsurance America, Inc. is one of the largest reinsurers in the United States. Munich Reinsurance America, Inc. has earned the A+ (Superior) financial strength rating from A.M. Best Company - that's among the highest in the industry. Over 1,000 employees serve our clients from our Princeton, New Jersey campus and regional offices throughout the United States.
As a member of Munich Re's US operations, we offer the financial strength and stability that comes with being part of the world's preeminent insurance and reinsurance brand. Our risk experts work together to assemble the right mix of products and services to help you stay competitive - from traditional reinsurance coverages, to niche and specialty reinsurance and insurance products.