Underwriting Assistant Marine (m/f/d)Overall objective
To provide accurate and high quality administrative services to the Marine underwriting teams, specifically Cargo and Specie but other teams as required, and to demonstrate care for customers and respect for the regulatory obligations of the Company.
Maidstone , United Kingdom
- Accurate and timely data entry of all Marine risks (focus on Cargo and Specie) in line with syndicate procedures
- Ensuring documents are entered for peer review
- Working with the Marine Team to collate information and support analysis of accounts for business development and business planning processes
- Maintaining renewal lists and chasing brokers for renewing risks
- Chasing and collating binder information for renewals alongside the coverholder team
- Maintaining and clearing exception reports
- Preparing reports for the Marine Team meetings
- Reviewing and checking wordings/clauses when required
- Providing support in respect of new projects or initiatives as and when needed
- Responsible for ensuring the Cat Modelling team are provided with aggregate data for RMS and brokers are chased for information where needed
- Any other adhoc tasks as necessary and directed by the Group Marine Underwriting Managers and Marine Underwriting Teams.
- Help drive forward good Conduct for the business to deliver the best outcomes for customers / policyholders.
- Understand all appropriate lines of escalation and the responsibilities of the Product Conduct Risk Strategy Group (PCRSG), Underwriting & Claims Sub Committee (UCSC) , ExCo and Board for Conduct Risk.
You are required to comply with the PRA and FCA conduct rules:
- Acting with honesty and integrity at all times
- Acting at all times with due care, skill and diligence
- Being open and honest with the FCA, the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and all UK regulators at all times
- Always paying due regard to the interests of customers and always treat them honestly and fairly
- Observing proper standards of market conduct at all times
Your profileKnowledge and Skills
- Basic (Level 1) knowledge and understanding of:
- Underlying Principles of Insurance;
- Legal Principles;
- FCA and rules and regulations, including contract certainty issues;
- Lloyds regulations;
- Marine Cargo.
2. Demonstrate clear understanding of all company specific procedures that relate to own role;
3. Demonstrate growing understanding of the roles of colleagues and their relationships to the structure and business plans of the firm;
4. Willingness to continue to develop knowledge of policies and related issues through formal and informal learning, both internally and externally to the firm
5. Be aware of the potential risks facing the business within own job role and the controls that are in place to mitigate them; and report all significant changes in these risks, or the effectiveness of controls, to your line manager in a timely manner.Competencies for the Role
- Team orientation
Work cooperatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member.2. Communication
Communicate clearly and persuasively, both orally and in writing.3. Achievement/results-orientation
Get things done well and the ability to set and meet challenging goals, create own measures of excellence and constantly seek ways of improving performance.4. Problem-solving
Analyse situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and weigh up alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution.5. Flexibility
Adapt and work effectively in different situations and to carry out a variety of tasks.6. Customer focus
Take constant care in looking after the interests of external and internal customers. Ensure that their wants, needs and expectations are given due consideration and that all efforts are made to meet them wherever fair and reasonable, in line with any standards from an industry regulator.7. Planning and prioritising
The ability to decide on courses of action, ensure that the necessary resources are available and schedule the work required to achieve a defined result in a desirable manner.8. Share knowledge
Share knowledge about the role you perform fully and willingly with others, where this is relevant, in the interests of the organisation.9. Self-development
Take responsibility for your own career and actively support ‘continuing professional development’.10. Commercial/business awareness
The capacity to understand the business opportunities and priorities of the organisation and constantly seek methods of ensuring that the organisation continues to be business-like and continues to meet the standards and requirements of its regulators.
Education and Professional Qualifications Required / (preferred)
- Some office/admin experience would be preferable but not vital to role
- Keyboard skills
- MS Word
- MS Excel
- MS Outlook
- MS PowerPoint
- MS Project
MRSG UK Services Limited is the employing entity for staff supporting the business activities of Munich Re Syndicate Limited (MRSL), Munich Re Specialty Group Limited (MRSG), Groves, John & Westrup Ltd (GJW), NMU (Specialty) Ltd (NMU) and Roanoke International Brokers Limited (RIBL).
As well as operating in the Lloyd’s of London market, we conduct our business via a global network of service companies, with offices located in the UK, Ireland, the United States, Asia, including Hong Kong, Singapore, Labuan and Dubai. We are also represented in Lloyd’s China.
Our group of companies provide solutions covering Casualty, Marine & Cargo, Energy & Aerospace, Cyber, Political Violence, Trade Credit and Property, Contingency and Yacht.
Known for our dedication to excellence and quality of service provision, we pride ourselves on offering you a great place to work.
Munich Re’s employees are the backbone of the Group’s business success. They are the people that drive the business forward and develop new solutions for our clients.
Ensuring that we recruit talented staff is therefore crucial to our future success. Our objective is to make Munich Re the employer of choice for potential employees on the global job market..
To help us achieve this goal we offer a competitive salary and a generous and comprehensive benefits package which we regularly review in accordance with external market data, to ensure you are paid fairly and our benefits are tailored to suit your lifestyle. Creating an inclusive environment is an essential part of the Munich Re culture and we are committed to our Diversity & Inclusion Policy. We also seek to provide a fair and supportive work environment which provides learning and development opportunities for all.
Please Note: All applications must be received via the website. Any CVs received via email will not be considered.