Toronto , Canada
Under the direction of the Head Corporate Insurance - Canada, the Senior Underwriter is responsible for the underwriting and marketing of Casualty, Excess Casualty and Umbrella insurance business with brokers and intermediaries.
Your jobKey Accountabilities
- Independently underwrite and price moderate to highly complex business in accordance with corporate, divisional and department guidelines and philosophy.
- Underwrite new and renewal business in accordance with underwriting authority, including all tasks associated with information and data gathering, data manipulation, risk and coverage analysis, pricing, and deal negotiations.
- Review primary policy, contract and endorsement wording and ensure accuracy and conformance with guidelines.
- Demonstrate and maintain enhanced technical product and underwriting expertise.
- Develop and maintain strong market presence by developing client and broker strategies.
- Proactively identify and analyse the needs of existing and potential clients.
- Independently negotiate (re)insurance contracts with clients and brokers based on delegated authority.
- Lead departmental projects related to the development and implementation of underwriting strategy.
- Demonstrate advanced proficiency in the use of pricing models and other risk evaluation models.
- Decision making based on data Interpretation beyond models.
- Conduct peer reviews of team members’ accounts.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, advanced degree is an asset.
- Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) / Fellow Chartered Insurance Professional (FCIP) / Certified Risk Manager (CRM) or Financial Risk Manager (FRM) designation is desirable, other professional designations are an asset.
- 7+ years of experience in (re)insurance, broker community and/ or corporate risk market.
- 5 + years of underwriting experience preferred.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge and expertise in underwriting international placements.
- Proven ability to interact effectively with clients, brokers and colleagues
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to adjust communication style to audience whether internally or externally
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office and other computer software.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and conceptual skills as well as investigative competencies
- Excellent organizational, planning, and time management skills.
- High degree of drive, self-motivation, continuing development and proven ability to work independently.
- High degree of flexibility and adaptability to changing environment and situations.
- Demonstrate accuracy and an eye for attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work on a small team and build strong relationships with colleagues.
- Good understanding of business economics (i.e. ability to assess business plans, analysis of cornerstones of business models, etc.) Business and general insurance acumen.
- Solid grasp of commercial insurance products combined with good knowledge of the insurance industry.
- Ability to develop and nurture working relationships within Munich Re North America and within the broader Munich Re Group
- French and/or secondary language skills, verbal and written are an asset
We’re investing strategically in our world class talent, offering our employees a diverse and challenging work environment which promotes professional development, innovation, and passion – and rewards high performance.
Please note that only candidates who are selected for interview will be contacted directly. We thank all candidates for their interest.