Business Intelligence Engineer
Toronto , Canada
The responsibility of the Business Intelligence (BI) Engineer is to build and implement automated reporting and dashboards leveraging efficient technology and agile development principles with a focus on innovation, operational efficiency, unique competitive advantages for Munich Re Specialty Insurance (MRSI).
MRSI is putting in place the tools to make us an agile company that is powered by data and tools that provide: 1) the ability of our business leaders to spot trends and move quickly 2) our clients and partners a competitive, modern, and differentiated experience; 3) our colleagues a hassle free and collaborative workplace; 4) our regulators a compliant entity with a great reputation.
This role reports to the Head of MRSI and will be part of the global MRSI Data Operations Team. You will be accountable and responsible for the reliable delivery of solutions that the business needs to understand performance, adjust strategy, and operate smoothly in the face of ambitious growth and changing technology. Primary responsibility will be to support data and reporting for the commercial programs (MGA’s portfolio) MRSI Canada / Temple business unit, with secondary support for all other MRSI units globally.
A successful individual will have a strong technical background as well as business acumens, ability to conceptualize new ways of doing things and enjoy rolling their sleeves to execute with their team. They will be passionate about eliminating manual/repetitive processes and driving digital transformation but also able to rise above the hype and focus on value and practical application.
- Work with business leaders to analyze data issues, perform root cause analysis, distill problems and solutions to make them easy to understand, and drive actions to resolve.
- Develop dashboards, automated reporting and interactive data visualizations using BI software and other tools, ensure reliable and efficient delivery across the company
- Analyzes, designs, codes, and tests tools and provides technical troubleshooting, support and resolution to applications problems
- Creates and maintains documentation, including: business requirements, functional design, technical design, implementation plans, and user guides
- Define and implement best practices for clean, extensible code, agile development and establish design principles and frameworks, and toolkits used to build and maintain the product
- Lead and drive large and small scale initiatives, demonstrating short development cycles, high quality work and sustainable benefits; and deliver timely against commitments.
- Work closely with Underwriting, Actuarial, and Finance teams to understand the business strategy and operating model, and provide appropriate thought leadership on digital solutions that can improve efficiency and outcomes
- As a member of the MRSI Data Operations global team, maintain a close working relationship with Analytics and IT teams within Munich RE to understand existing solutions and resources available.
This position requires sound technical skills, analytical abilities, good judgement, strong operational focus and ability to organize and manage workflow in fast paced environment with focus on service and business value. Successful candidates will possess the following skills/capabilities:
- Commercial Insurance background desirable
- Technical: business application or software development experience and strong knowledge and understanding of data architecture concepts, API design and consumption, and third-party software integration
- Commercial : passionate about solving problems, enjoys connecting the dots between data, strategy and analytics, obsess with generating tangible business value and sustain solutions
- Organization: able to co-ordinate multiple tasks and operate in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment with competing project priorities; strong track record of success with owning solutions from concept to completion
- Communication: Advanced verbal and written communications skills, listening and teamwork skills, and effective presentation skills. Ability to communicate clearly, effectively, and concisely, both verbally and in written form.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline such as Computer Science, Finance, Economics, Engineering, Statistics or Advanced degree in Business
- Proficient in PowerBI, SQL, R, VBA or Stata. Python or similar preferred.
- 3+ years of experience in an development role demonstrating practical application of technical skills
- Knowledgeable with agile development methodologies and Technical savviness and a willingness to experiment with and learn new technologies
- Strong communication skills with an ability to explain complex details and methodologies to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to introduce and drive innovative ideas and processes within established environments
- Actuarial background desirable
Together, we engage with everything we have and are, to help humankind act braver and better.
As the world’s leading reinsurance company with more than 40,000 employees in over 50 locations around the globe, Munich Re introduces a paradigm shift in the way you think about insurance. By turning uncertainty into manageable risk, we enable fundamental change. We recognize Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging as a key priority with a culture that welcomes different thoughts and opinions. We dare to think big and are continuously innovating on behalf of our clients.
Temple Insurance is a member of the Munich Re Group, one of the top providers of reinsurance, primary insurance, and insurance-related risk solutions in the world. Taking on risks worldwide of every type and complexity, the Munich Re Group and its business units are active in all lines of insurance. Our consistent risk management, financial stability, and client proximity make us a much sought-after trusted business partner. The Temple Insurance team is made of highly experienced individuals who possess professional backgrounds in both engineering and underwriting, and handle a portfolio of industrial and commercial accounts across Canada requiring dedicated placements for Property, Casualty, and Construction.
Please note that only candidates who are selected for interview will be contacted directly. We thank all candidates for their interest.