Underwriting Specialist, Corporate Casualty
Toronto , Canada
Under the direction of the Head of Corporate Insurance, the Underwriting Specialist is responsible for the marketing and underwriting of Casualty, Excess Casualty, and Umbrella insurance business directly with brokers and intermediaries.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Underwrite and price moderate to highly complex business in accordance with corporate, divisional and department guidelines and philosophy and within the limits authorized by the Head of Department.
- Demonstrated superior negotiation skills, facilitating and managing the complexities and challenges associated with sourcing business.
- Assesses and approves risk changes on existing accounts.
- Reviews and assess inspection and engineering reports on new and/or existing accounts.
- Reviews and approves policy wordings for underlying placements and makes recommendations on any noted deficiencies to the broker.
- Provides information, guidance and advice to brokers & Clients, including alternative solutions when appropriate.
- Develop new business opportunities and promote Group’s capabilities and competencies externally across Canada.
- Build, develop and maintain strong market presence with brokers.
- Demonstrate advanced proficiency in the use of pricing, loss and other risk evaluation models and strategic decision making based on data interpretation beyond models.
- Keeps current on systems, underwriting rating tools and underwriting guidelines.
- Proven ability to lead a team technically by providing straight-forward, clear direction, guidance and coaching.
- Prepare reports as may be required.
- Analyzes portfolio and advises of ways to improve efficiency and opportunities.
- Represents Department in working groups and expert networks, as appropriate.
- Participates in developing risk appetite and underwriting strategies for casualty business.
- Monitor market conditions and activities of existing and potential Clients and competitors.
- Prepares and delivers seminars for our Brokers and/or Clients.
Required Qualifications (Skills and Experience):
First and foremost, the successful candidate will demonstrate a natural desire to provide exceptional client service through their energy, enthusiasm, and initiative.
In addition, we are looking for the following qualifications:
- Post-secondary education with a focus on business.
- CIP/FCIP/CRM designation or progression towards would be an asset.
- 10+ years of experience in reinsurance, broker community and/ or corporate risk market.
- 5+ years of casualty underwriting experience preferred.
- Prior experience with energy, mining, construction and civil projects would be considered an asset.
- Solid grasp of commercial casualty insurance products and wordings.
- Previous experience with business development and sales would be an asset.
- Ability to build strong relationships with both clients and colleagues.
- High degree of drive, self-motivation, continuing development and proven ability to work independently.
- Strong analytical, negotiating and investigative competencies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong collaboration and team building skills.
- High degree of flexibility and adaptability to changing environment and situations.
- Strong computer ability, specifically with MS Office Products
- Ability and willingness to travel both locally and internationally.
Together, we engage with everything we have and are, to help humankind act braver and better.
As the world’s leading reinsurance company with more than 40,000 employees in over 50 locations around the globe, Munich Re introduces a paradigm shift in the way you think about insurance. By turning uncertainty into manageable risk, we enable fundamental change. We recognize Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging as a key priority with a culture that welcomes different thoughts and opinions. We dare to think big and are continuously innovating on behalf of our clients.
Temple Insurance is a member of the Munich Re Group, one of the top providers of reinsurance, primary insurance, and insurance-related risk solutions in the world. Taking on risks worldwide of every type and complexity, the Munich Re Group and its business units are active in all lines of insurance. Our consistent risk management, financial stability, and client proximity make us a much sought-after trusted business partner. The Temple Insurance team is made of highly experienced individuals who possess professional backgrounds in both engineering and underwriting, and handle a portfolio of industrial and commercial accounts across Canada requiring dedicated placements for Property, Casualty, and Construction.
Please note that only candidates who are selected for interview will be contacted directly. We thank all candidates for their interest.